Favorite New Year’s Day Recipes | Spicy Southern Black Eyed Peas
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- 4 ounces salt pork, rind removed, diced, or thick bacon or hog jowl, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced, optional
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced, optional
- 1 tablespoon Creole or Cajun seasoning mixture
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- ground hot pepper, optional, to taste
Following package directions, soak the black-eyed peas overnight or cover with water, boil for 2 minutes, then let stand for 1 hour. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet, sauté the diced salt pork with onion until onion is browned.
Combine salt pork and onions with the drained peas and remaining ingredients; Add water just to cover. Simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until tender, checking and adding a little more water if necessary. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Serve with hot boiled rice, spinach or other greens, and freshly baked skillet cornbread.
Serves 6 to 8